Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Book Review: Snow Crash

Snow CrashSnow Crash by Neal Stephenson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I did it! I finally finished this book! I must admit that when I started reading this book, it was headed for five stars. The inventiveness, the foresight, and the creativity that Neil Stephenson had packed into this novel was amazing. It was like he had a time machine into the technology that was to come ten years later.

However, at towards the middle of the book, things started to lag. I found the central point of human language being somehow like computer viruses completely untenable. The extensive amount of time spent on this ancient history of computer viruses almost stopped me from finishing reading the story. In the end, the action picked up again, and I made my way through.

The last niggle I have with this book, one that is ultimately all too common with science fiction, is the poorly written female characters. While better than some others, Stephenson's female characters just don't ring true to me, and that means a book that could have been great is merely good.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment