Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Filth Wizard

...friend only to the rat and the pig. That's Holly. I cannot believe how much laundry she generates. Today she managed to throw up on her adorable little onesie suit about three seconds after I put it on her. And the thing is that I don't actually mind the task of laundry. There's something almost zen about putting dirty, disheveled clothes in the machine and taking them out clean and soft. However, like most apartment buildings in Vancouver, we do not have a washer in our suite, but rather have a laundry room in the basement of our building. This wouldn't be so bad if the washers weren't so scarce or nasty. This building has almost 140 apartments, and yet we have six washers and six dryers in the laundry room. Trying to grab a washer or two during the week is tough and on weekends its practically an Olympic event. And the industrial monster washers are just brutal on our clothes. I miss having my own washer, where if I realised at Midnight on a Sunday that I had no clothes for the week, I could do the washing then and there. Alas, until we own our own place (which is never) I shall be at the mercy of the industrial washers.

3 comments:

  1. I have heard, from other mothers, about this piles and piles and piles of washing thing when you have children. This is probably one of the things I'm least looking forward to, when I become a parent. I already generate a lot of dirty washing, so I hate to think how bad it'll be with a baby!

    And a shared laundry? Ugh. When we lived in London we had to walk to a laundromat, then fight over machines. It sucks. You have my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is still respnsible for about 50% of our total laundry (even when you include the cloth nappies that Em uses)...but I guess that's mostly because his clothes are so big!

    Also our washer is kaput at the moment, so I had to drag Em down to the launderette and do a big load there. Wasn't too bad as the cycle only took half an hour compared with 1.5 hours at home and it did a bit bigger load... handily I now have our tandem stroller, so could put the laundry in the second seat where the new baby will shortly go... quite handy!

    Ah, laundry - what a fascinating topic - I normally do about 7 loads a week, so it features quite prominently in my thoughts...isn't being a Mummy glamorous!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, this talk of never being able to afford a house - is this because of your wild success as business moguls, or is it because you live in Canadialand? Are you may never live with Holly in the land of her vegemite-munching heritage, where internal laundries are in every room of every house, so we can clean our Driza from roo-marks and dropbear-splat with ease?

    ReplyDelete