Thursday, February 18, 2010

Nothing says "I Love You" like Birds of Prey

For Valentine's Day this year I arranged for a rather unconventional activity; a Falconry Workshop. Both Jaime and I have been fascinated with the art of falconry for yonks through our mutual love of both Medieval Arts and Birds. Vancouver has a fabulous medieval martial arts school, Academie Duello, and they have a falconer in residence.

We spent several hours learning the theory of falconry, before we got a chance to handle these beautiful birds. Sabre is a Gyr Falcon, and Cabal a Harris Hawk, but my favourite was Mistral, a Peregrine Falcon. She was a little skittish at first, but seemed to really warm to me.

In the afternoon we had the opportunity to take the birds down to local park and let them fly. Luckily, it was a bright sunny day and the birds seemed to really enjoy going for spin.

The course was really fun, and I was very impressed by the instructor's professionalism and respect for the birds.

Now that we've done the course, we can come back and work with the the birds on a regular basis.

1 comment:

  1. That's probably the best Valentine's Day idea I've heard of!

    Great photos of both of you, too, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete